View Paintings of Shenley Village by Local Artist
Browse this unique gallery of Shenley Village Winter Scenes, painted by local artist, S.C. ‘Fred’ Perry. Many of them having been featured on Barkers Estate Agents’ Christmas cards over the years. All are copyright reserved, but reprints may still be available - contact Barkers (01923 855266).
Village Pond - (Copyright © 2004) War Memorial is to the left and the historic Shenley cage once used as a jailhouse ‘for locking up the drunks’ is on the right. The Pond is home to the Shenley ducks that regularly make perilous attempts crossing London Road. They now have their own ‘Duck Crossing’ warning sign, but casualties mean they still need better protection from speeding traffic!
Pound Lane - (Copyright © 2004) Rectory Lane & Pound Lane Cottages. Those on the right were later carefully restored and modernised preserving much of the old charm of the original buildings.
Village Hall - (Copyright © 2004) The Shenley Village Hall and beside it, Shenley’s estate agent. Originally, this office was the village bakery and later a drapers shop, before Barkers was established in 1996. The old Post Office - now a private residence - was between the two and only the Post Box is left!
White Horse - (Copyright © 2004) The White Horse P.H. one of four village pubs, now a pub restaurant with a popular menu. Attempts to rename the pub to the ‘Shenley Fox’ a few years ago met with strong local opposition.
London Road - (Copyright © 2004) One of Shenley’s character cottages on London Road, originally the fruit rooms for the Grange, a mansion house built for the notorious John Charrington.
Long Meadow - (Copyright © 2004) Now a private residence, this home was once the coach house to the Grange, one of Shenley’s ‘big houses’ on London Road.
Black Lion - (Copyright © 2004) The Black Lion P.H. Vintage car rallies have taken place here for many years, less frequently in severe winters. Featured more than once in the Eastenders TV series and behind it was the original Pound where the stray horses were rounded up.
Queen Adelaide and Cage House - (Copyright © 2007) The village plaque now stands in front of the pond and beyond it the Queen Adelaide pub, named after the queen, who with King William IV, was a frequent visitor to Shenley after she retired to Stanmore. The famous domed-roof jail house cage, built for 18th Century law breakers and drunks and now listed, bears an inscription, partially adopted as the motto for Hertsmere Borough Council, “Do Well. Fear Not. Be Sober. Be Vigilant.”
London Road - (Copyright © 2007) Looking south from the entrance to Lakeside and Long Meadow. In the distance is the King William IV pub and the Methodist Chapel. Obscured by the magnolia tree is what used to be the village hairdressers, now Shenley’s mortgage brokers, DGS Financial Advisers and next door is the former Rouse drapers shop, now Barkers, Shenley’s First Estate Agents.
Thatched Cottages - (Copyright © 2007) Built in the early 19th Century the semi-detached, Thatched Cottages in Woodhall Lane, once home to the Phillips family for over 100 years, epitomise the character and charm of Shenley village. Some years ago, two cottages were carefully adapted into one detached home. Nearby, but out of view is the Corner House, former home of the village blacksmiths, which was also originally two cottages. The forge was originally opposite on the site of what is now the Forge flats.
Rectory Lane - (Copyright © 2007) Featured, is the distinctive yellow of ‘Coombe’, the cottage which backs onto Coombe Wood in Rectory Lane, believed to date back to the 1600’s. In the early 20th Century, it became Osmond’s general store offering grocery, hardware, building supplies and even undertaking services. The cottage, recently modernised, still belongs to descendants of the Osmond family who have preserved even the original shop scales and ‘tea-dealing and cheesemonger’ permit. Behind it, pictured with some ‘artistic licence’ is the Tower of the old Shenley hospital, but its true geographical position is far removed.
Methodist Church - (Copyright © 2007) Originally a Workhouse for the poor of Shenley. Overseers of the Poor who used to dole out Parish Relief there, would first meet in the Black Lion. The Poorhouse was often the scene of some disorder over the years and in 1840 the Rev. Thomas Newcome in an effort to reform ‘local characters’ agreed its sale as a Methodist Chapel, still in use today. Between 1840 and 1892 Newcome had built, St. Martin’s Church, the Village Hall and Clubhouse and two Village Schools, one for boys and one for girls.
Click here for local information on ShenleyMore about Shenley